Archives for January 2016
This recipe only contains ingredients known to be good for building muscle and overall fitness. Thrown them together in an easy to use oven method which makes it only about 5 minutes of effort (not counting cooking time).
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
Brown Rice (cooked separately in the instant pot or other method)
Benson’s Table Tasty non-salt powder (optional)
1) Start cooking brown rice separately using whatever method you want
2) Lay remaining ingredients in order in baking pan
3) Cover and bake on 400 degrees for 30 minutes
4) Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until starts to brown
The oldest handwritten recipe I wrote was way back in grade school (see picture). The following is my attempt at making it a healthy recipe. It was a success and given dates, peanut butter, and apples are excellent for runners, I may have to make this more often.
½ Peanut Butter (heated 30 seconds in the microwave)
½ cup + 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
¾ cup Flour (I used chickpea flour to keep it gluten-free)
5 Medjool dates, chopped finely
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
¼ or ½ teaspoon nutmeg (depending on how much you like the spice)
4 Apples, sliced and cored
Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.
1) Mix Peanut Butter and Maple Syrup till smooth. Add flour and stir till it becomes a crumble mixture (see picture). If it’s too much like dough or running, add more Maple Syrup or Flour. Set aside.
2) Mix Dates, Cinnamon, and Nutmeg thoroughly. Add apples and coat well.
3) Arrange Apple/Date mixture as pictured. Cover with crumble mixture. Sprinkle an extra dash of cinnamon if desired
4) Cover and bake on 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 5 minutes or until it starts to brown. Watch it when uncovered though so it doesn’t burn.
I was starving and didn’t have time to cook so put this together in less than 15 minutes from start to finish thanks to the saute feature of the Instant Pot. Normally would have used potatoes but given the time constraint opted for Chickpeas instead. Turned out very well.
Ingredients Used: Onions, Mushrooms, Carrots, Garlic, Chickpeas, Kale, diced tomatoes, and Chipotle powder.
Tip: Used a tiny amount of veggie broth to start with. Also started cooking the onions, carrots, and mushrooms first since those take the longest to cook.
Who says you can’t eat healthy at Ruth Chris Steakhouse?
Must admit I just made this up by accident but it was so delicious I’m posting the recipe here if you want to try it. You will be shocked how good it is.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Pomegranate Seeds (from one large fruit)
2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
1 heaping Tablespoon Cacao Powder
3 Medjool Dates (diced)
1 Cup Frozen Cherries
Mix all ingredients. Enjoy!